Happy New Year!
Having just returned from a lovely holiday spent with my family in Canada, I wasn’t quite ready to be back in work-mode on Sunday. I opted for a very simple lunch plan and packed everything for the week in 45 minutes.
- Morning Snack: A piece of fruit a small handful of roasted almonds
- Lunch: Hearty green salad, 4 whole grain crackers, 2 small pieces of cheddar cheese, 1 date
- Afternoon Snack: Carrot sticks and a Kashi granola bar
*I assembled the salad in a large bowl, tossed it, and then distributed it into my lunch containers. I added the dressing separately each day.
- Roast approximately 20 oz of butternut squash (*I buy the pre-chopped kind). Toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Put on baking tray in oven at 400 for 30-35 minutes. Season with pepper and sea salt.
- Assemble the salad. You will need:
- 5oz package of mixed greens, spinach or chopped kale
- 2 medium sized carrots (grated)
- 8oz container of grape or cherry tomatoes (chop each tomato in half)
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- Feta (sprinkle a handful on top)
- Dried cranberries (1/4 cup)
- Sunflower seeds (to taste (1/4 cup)
- Sesame seeds (to taste, optional)
- Add the squash after it cools.
Super Easy Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe:
- Microwave a lemon for 15 seconds
- Roll it around a bit on the counter and then cut it in half
- Juice both halves (should yield about 1/8 cup of fresh lemon juice)
- Add 1/8 cup (or equal part) extra-virgin olive oil
- Add approximately 1 teaspoon of honey
- Stir or whisk vigorously until the honey dissolves
- Store in the fridge
I peeled and chopped 4 carrots on Sunday. I put them in cold water in the fridge so they would be ready to go and remain crisp. Each day I packed a few carrot sticks.
Squash (pre-chopped and washed)
Sea salt and pepper