This week I made another variation of a simple green salad with roasted vegetables. It is easy to prep, lasts all week, and is full of nutrition and flavor.
- Morning Snack: Apple and 4-6 roasted almonds
- Lunch: Green salad, 4 whole grain crackers, 2 small pieces of cheddar cheese, 1 piece of dark chocolate
- Afternoon Snack: Carrot sticks and a whole-grain date bar
- Prepare 1 cup dry quinoa (rinse well, put in medium pot, add 2 cups water, bring to boil, cover and simmer on low for approximately 15 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 400. Line two baking sheets with tin foil. Chop 24oz of butternut squash (I buy the pre-cut kind) and 2 cups of cauliflower into small pieces. Toss lightly in extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes (to desired tenderness), flipping halfway.
- Wash and trim ends of 12oz of green beans. Steam until tender.
- Chop beets (if you bought the pre-cooked and peeled kind).
- Rinse the can of chickpeas.
- Add at least 5oz greens to a large salad bowl. Add the beets and chickpeas. Once cool, add the quinoa, squash, green beans, and cauliflower. Sprinkle with feta, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries (to taste).
- Keep dressing in separate container and add each day. Use any dressing you like! I typically make a simple vinaigrette such as this.
With carrot sticks, first I peel and chop them. Then I store them in water in the fridge so they remain crisp. I pack a few each morning into my lunch.
Let me know if you have any questions, and happy lunch-making!